User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

A fascinating city, full of historical monuments, castles and magnificent architecture, the city of Nafplio has visitors all year long.

 

It is one of the most popular Greek cities for both Greeks and foreign tourists. The cafes and taverns in the harbor and the old town are always crowded.

 

Nafplion (Nafplion) was the first capital of liberated Greece, before Athens became the capital.

Walking through the narrow streets with the Venetian balconies you will find many shops with gifts and various items to shop. Nafplio is known all over Greece for its various shops and the only one in the country, the Museum of Komboloi.

Enjoy a cappuccino or any coffee of your choice, since the long process of "coffee" is especially important for Greeks.

You will see the imposing castle of Palamidi, built by the Franks and the Venetians, standing above the city and it is worth climbing the 999 steps (not verified number) on the castle. Also important is the castle of Akronafplia, whose walls surround the city and the port of Bourtzi, one of the most photographed castles in Greece.

At Syntagma Square you will find the Archaeological Museum, and Trianon, visit the Lion of Bavaria, the cafeteria beach, the church of Agios Spyridon where Kapodistrias was assassinated, the Folklore Museum, and the War Museum. Plan an excursion just outside Nafplio at the ouzo factory and see how to make the traditional Greek drink.

NAFPLI SIGHTSEEING

PALAMIDI

The imposing fortress of Palamidi rises 216 meters above the city of Nafplio and can be accessed by car on the east side. The most adventurous and romantic reaches the top of the 999 steps.
It was built between 1687 and 1715 by the Venetians, and in particular by the conqueror Francis Morosini, after occupying the hill on which it was located, after a fierce battle with the Ottomans, during the Venetian-Turkish War. The purpose was to be the main defensive backdrop of Nafplio, which was the capital of the Peloponnese. Palamidi is a typical Baroque fortress, designed by Giaxich and Lasalle engineers. At that time, it was considered a monument of fortification technique and consists of 8 bastions, surrounded by walls. The bastions are connected by a courtyard, called the enclosure wall. These 8 bastions (bastions) had first Venetian names, after Turkish and finally ancient Greeks (Fokianos, Themistocles, Miltiadis, Epaminondas, Leonidas, Achilles etc.).

Although regarded as imprecise at the time, it was relatively easily occupied by the Turks in 1715 during the last Venetian-Turkish War.
During the Greek Revolution, after many attempts and failures, on the night of November 29, 1822, the Greeks occupy Palamidi with the commanders, Stakos Staikopoulos and Moschonissiotis. Shortly thereafter, Kolokotronis arrived, who forced the Nafplio guard to capitulate and surrender. The 30th of November is the anniversary of the contamination.
One of the bastions of the fortress, the so-called "Miltiades" was used as a prison for the hero of the Revolution Th. Kolokotronis. From "Themistocles", Hassan Pasas was trampling on the Arvanites. Since then, the area has been named Arvanitia.
In the fortress there is the historic chapel of Apostle Andrew, built from the Venetian era. It is housed in a semicircular dome and enters the eastern half of one of the arches that support the walk of the walls. Its free part is double.

BURTZI

The Bourtzi or "Castello dello Soglio" in the Venetian, or "seaside" in the Race of 1821, is a small fortified islet at the entrance of the Nafplio bay. It was first fortified during the period of the First Venetian Occupation (1389-1540) by the Venetian Pasqualigo, who assigned the work to architect Antonio Gambello. Changing the shape of the castle to a Renaissance pace, in line with the needs of the siege and the new requirements, one can observe in Bourtzi. In 1715 the castle was occupied by the Turks, until 1822, when it became the property of the Greeks.

Bourtzi in Turkish-Arabic, means "island-fortress", while in the past the island was named after Saint Theodore. The Turkish name eventually prevailed.
It has been an integral part of the city's wider fortification for many centuries. In the first years after the liberation of the new Greek state, the castle served as a public residence because it was "hateful to the inhabitants of Nafplio". In the 1950s there was a hotel that operated privately. The hotel has hosted many famous celebrities.

Today the area is accessible by boat from the port

 

 

Capsia Cave

Kapsia Cave is located about 1.5 km north of Kapsia village and 15 km away from Tripoli, in the prefecture of Arcadia and is considered one of the most remarkable caves in Greece.

See more

Toggle Switch Rail - Kalavryta-Vouraikos Canyon

 

The Diakopto-Kalavryta Tooth Railway and its unique route through the gorge of the Vouraikos River are one

of the most beautiful natural attractions in our country.

See more...